Australian Time

Sydney

My counter

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands




Tuesday March 2, 2010 Airlie Beach Three Island Tour
Early this morning it was cloudy and very windy. We have been sailing inside the Great Barrier Reef all night. Due to all the winds and the extra ordinary high tides, we are not expecting to see a lot of fish today. This was a tender port which means the tour boats come directly to the ship. We finally got away at 9 am. Our first stop was to Hook Island which was a 20 minute ride on the high speed catamaran, which was very rough. Once off the boat, we began by walking up many steps which I thought would never end. My legs were burning and I was panting and it wasn’t from excitement! Finally we reached the top and we began the journey down the other side to the beach area where we donned stinger suits as this is the season for stinger jellyfish. Oh my, I sure do not look like a goddess or a mermaid in this outfit. Into the water we went, with the snorkels. It wasn’t long before we began seeing many beautiful fish of all different colors. The water was murky and we didn’t see any coral but the swim was worth the walk. We stayed in the water for more than an hour before beginning the trek back up the side of the hill. The catamaran then sailed along Whitehaven beach. We were supposed to have stopped here, as this is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Due to the extraordinary high seas we were unable to dock and you could hardly see the beach. We then stopped to Daydream Island. The name suites it well. By the time we arrived the sun was out & very hot. We were met at the dock by drivers with golf carts to take us to the resort. We spent an hour or so swimming in the pool and browsing the property. I could see myself staying here. We then left for the return trip back to the ship and it was a really rough ride. Back on the ship by 4:15 pm. I talked to the fellow in the suite next to us who had gone to the outer reef and he was very disappointed because the weather and poor visibility. He said more than half of the people were sick. He also told us about a gentlemen who had a heart attack while snorkelling and was unable to be revived. That is so sad. At supper tonight, I commented on Kelly’s (a tablemate) beautiful necklace and she said she has never really liked it and when we all left the table; she slipped her necklace off and gave it to me. I was so shocked and never expected this generous gift. I will always treasure this thoughtful gift and it will forever be a memory of this trip. Tonight we will call it an early night. My knees are cracking and legs are still burning.

No comments:

Post a Comment